Fri., Dec. 6: |
Good Luck on exams!
Thu., Dec. 12: 11:00am
Peter Jeavons, MS Thesis Defense
Efficient Computational Models for Pattern Formation in Fixed and Evolving Domains
Sat., Dec. 7 - Thu., Dec. 12:
Check with your instructor for time and location
Mon., Dec. 16 - Tue., Jan. 7:
Have a wonderful holiday break! See you next year!
Mathematics of the Season
Given the time of year (and the recent abrupt reminder), it seems only appropriate that we include a few topics on the mathematics involved in this time of year. So, a few links for your reading enjoyment!
- The Wondrous Mathematics of Winter (courtesy of The New Yorker magazine)
- The Mathematics of Christmas (for you non-believers)
- A Mathematical Look at Snow and Avalanches
- Historic Thanksgiving-Hanukkah Overlap Leads to Math and Merchandise
Oh, and just because, who doesn't like Star Trek,
Above all, we hope everyone has a safe and enjoyable holiday season!
Spotlight on AMS
Congratulations to some of our own on their recent publications!
- Terry Bridgman & Willy Hereman: "Symbolic Computation of Lax Pairs of Partial Difference Equations Using Consistency Around the Cube" in Foundations of Computational Mathematics.
- Amanda Hering: "Characterizing Spatial and Chronological Target Selection of Serial Offenders" in the Journal of the Royal Statistical Society.
- Scott Strong: "Evaluating Energy: The Affects of Direct Observation on Undergraduate Research in Renewable Energy at Colorado School of Mines." in the Proceedings of Frontiers in Education Conference, Oklahoma City, OK.
Check out the opportunities inside AMS or Ask Us if you have any questions.